The Workgroup on Sustaining the Hawker Trade was formed in Apr 2019 to offer ideas to help sustain the hawker trade and work towards recommendations to safeguard the Hawker Culture in Singapore. The Workgroup submitted its report to the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE) in Nov 2020, which outlined the Workgroup’s recommendations over five key areas:
1) Refreshing the narrative on hawker trade to attract new entrants;
2) Supporting new and existing hawkers with relevant training programmes;
3) Alleviating manpower challenges through productivity initiatives and policy reviews;
4) Celebrating hawker culture and honouring hawker legends; and
5) Fostering a strong hawkers network and facilitating peer-learning among hawkers.
The full report is attached below: