| II. Cleaning Instructions|
1. Put on the required PPE.
2. Keep windows open for ventilation.
Surface Disinfection and cleaning
1. Soak cloths with prepared disinfectant or bleach solution and use them to wipe all frequently touched areas (e.g. lift buttons, handrails, doorknobs, arm rests, seat backs, tables, air/ light controls, keyboards, switches, etc.). Observe recommended contact time according to manufacturer’s instruction.
2. A steady wiping motion should be used when cleaning either floors or horizontal surfaces, to prevent the creation of aerosols or splashing.
3. After the appropriate contact time, surface may be wiped again with a clean wet cloth, allow to air dry after wiping.
4. All linens need to be washed as the virus can stay on surfaces such as curtains, carpets, mattresses, pillows, or cushions for 2-3 days:
i. Laundry should be placed directly into the washing machine or a pail of water and washed with laundry detergent. Avoid tossing or throwing the fabrics.
ii. Set items you are unable to wash or disinfect aside, and do not use them for 3 days. Otherwise, you may engage a cleaning contractor to properly disinfect these items. Please refer to our website for the updated list of companies* that can carry out disinfection works.
* The list is for reference only and is non-exhaustive. NEA neither endorses the companies nor the views they express or the products/ services they offer.
Cleaning of Floors
1. Fill a bucket with an attached wringer with disinfectant solution.
2. The bucket used for mopping should have a wringer attached. Mops should not be hand-wrung.
3. Dip the mop head into bucket with disinfectant solution, wring dry and mop the floor from one end of the premises to another. Avoid going from an area that has not been cleaned to an area that has been cleaned, to avoid dirtying the cleaned area.
4. A steady sweeping/ wiping motion is recommended to prevent splashing.
5. Allow to air dry.
1. Prepare bleach for disinfecting of sink U-trap, floor trap, urinal, and toilet bowl (dilute to 5000ppm or 0.5% sodium hypochlorite; bleach solutions with 5.25-6.00% sodium hypochlorite can be diluted with 1-part bleach in 9 parts water).
2. Sink U-trap and floor trap shall be disinfected to reduce the risk of aerosolisation from wastewater before cleaning starts.
3. For disinfection of sink U-trap, pour a cup (approximately 250mL) of 0.5% bleach solution into the sink.
4. For disinfection of floor trap, pour 2 cups (approximately 500mL) of 0.5% bleach solution into the floor trap.
5. High pressure jetting of toilet should not be performed to prevent aerosolisation of the COVID-19 virus.
6. Conduct toilet cleaning according to NEA Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection of Public Toilets in Non-Healthcare Premises
Post cleaning disinfection and disposal of cleaning equipment
1. Throw away disposable cleaning equipment after cleaning each area.
2. Double bag and seal (eg. cable tie) waste generated during cleaning and dispose as regular waste.
3. For reusable cloth and mops, prepare a bucket of fresh disinfectant solution to disinfect the cloths and mops separately. Soak cloths and mop head into bucket and observe appropriate contact time. Separately use a disinfectant-soaked cloth to wipe the mop handle.
4. Disinfect buckets by wiping with cloth soaked in disinfectant or bleach solution.
5. All used equipment including cloths and mops should be disinfected with appropriate disinfectant after each use and air dried.
Removal of PPE
1. Designate a well ventilated “clean area” to remove PPE.
2. Remove glove and perform hand hygiene (eg. wash your hands with soap and water or perform hand rub with hand sanitised).
3. Wipe face shield or goggles, if used, with an appropriate disinfectant after each use, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Double bag, seal and dispose PPE as regular waste.